4.16.2011

DELI MEX, Tacos and Fresh Juice in Sherman Oaks, CA


A little semi-hidden gem in Sherman Oaks. Delicious homemade Mexican cooking. The 'Deli' in the title hails from when the place was more of a sandwich shop. They have been in business for 10 years, but for the last 5, the 'Deli' chef has departed and been replaced by someone who really knows how to make Enchiladas with Green Sauce!!!!


I spoke with the manager, Abraham. He's from Queretaro (say it 5x fast) which is a cool city about 4 hours from Mexico City and 45 minutes from San Miguel de Allende. He was telling me about a Barbacoa festival they have there every year where 20 different masters digs holes in the ground and roast lamb in banana-type leaves. WHOA.


I of course had the crispy taco plate. Fresh and tasty, but the thing that totally KILLED me were their salsas. The house salsa is almost green with cilantro and had a nice tangy, salty, savory taste with a tiny kick of heat. Their 'hot' sauce is made with tiny red Asian peppers and it was hot, but also so flavorful. It wasn't about numbness but about zest and zip.


They are open for breakfast too. The pictures of the Huevos Rancheros looked terrific and since my tacos looked exactly like their picture I am assuming the pictures are a pretty good indication of what you will get when you order something.


As if all this cozy, charming, greatness weren't enough, they also have juice. Abraham made me something special that comes from using the outer meat of the pineapple rather than the center. It was so creamy and delicious I was sure it had milk in it But no, just the pineapple.


From the outside it's definitely unexciting. You would NEVER drive by and say... 'Dang... I GOTTA go there'. But once you get inside, the friendly tables and cheerful yellow walls make you want to sit and chat a while. They also have a nice TV for soccer games and the news. etc.

I wish I lived closer, but those of you living in Encino, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Valley Village etc. Get your butts over there and let Abraham make you something delicoius to eat and drink.

MAP of the area where the Barbacoa Festival is.

No comments:

Post a Comment